Webber Wentzel, is our nominated advisor and general council to the company.
Large oil and gas discoveries across Africa are further fuelling the continent’s reputation as a vast repository of sought-after, often untapped natural resources. Many of the latest finds overlap with mining territory and stretch from South Africa, Botswana and Mozambique, through to Tanzania, Kenya and South Sudan.
These recent discoveries are potentially game changing for individual countries and the wider region, particularly in view of the difficulties the mining sector is encountering in some jurisdictions. There however are potential barriers which have to be overcome in order to tap into these newly discovered African oil and gas deposits. These include regulatory challenges, ownership issues, skills shortages, infrastructural shortcomings and the sheer magnitude of funding needed for large-scaleprojects.
Webber Wentzel has developed one of the strongest oil and gas teams in southern Africa. We provide creative, flexible, marketleading and cost-effective solutions for our clients and the projects in which they are involved, across the petroleum value chain.
We are well equipped to help clients navigate the challenges while maximising the opportunities in the sector. Members of our team have substantial experience in the development and financing of oil and gas projects in Sub-Saharan Africa and the rest of the world, having advised the “supermajors”, South African oil and gas companies, national oil companies, refineries, fuel distributors and financiers, including private equity funders for early stage development.
OIL & GAS EXPERIENCE
Our recent headline experience includes advising:
- Black Rhino Group (Blackstone backed development company) and their joint venture partners on the development and financing of a refined products import, storage and pipeline project for delivery of liquid fuels into Ethiopia via Djibouti.
- ExxonMobil with respect to its upstream operations in South Africa and certain aspects of its upstream operations in neighboring jurisdictions to South Africa.
- Chevron on regulatory issues pertaining to the Mineral Petroleum Regulation Development Act and its onshore upstream operations in South Africa.
- Delta Natural Gas in relation to the joint development of a gas market in South Africa and advising on the regulatory requirements for the importation of liquefied natural gas, regasification and operation of such facilities and the sale of natural gas to end-user customers.
- Vivo Energy in relation to a potential acquisition in Djibouti.
- SacOil in relation to the legal due diligence in connection with a proposed acquisition of legal or equitable interest in and to a production sharing agreement for oil and gas interests in Tanzania.
- The Government of South Africa in relation to its Gas IPP procurement programme pursuant to an ethical wall arrangement permitting us to also represent other key stakeholders to the project.
- Xaris Energy Proprietary Limited in relation to its FSRU based LNG import to gas fired power project in Namibia.
- The sponsor (confidential) on the early stages of an approx. US$4-6 billion FSRU based LNG import to gas fired power project in Southern Africa.
- The sponsors (confidential) in the early stages of a potential FSRU based LNG import to gas fired power project in West Africa.
- The sponsors (confidential) in the early stages of a potential FSRU based LNG import to gas fired power project in Southern Africa.
- The sponsors (confidential) in the early stages of a potential FSRU based LNG import project for multiple gas utilisations in Southern Africa.
- Various international oil companies as to matters of South African law in relation to their acquisitions of upstream oil and gas assets in South Africa.
- The Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) on the development of South Africa’s national gas industrial policy.
- Sunbird Energy, the upstream developers of the Ibhubesi gas field offshore of South Africa on the commercialisation of the field.
- The Government of South Africa in relation to the development of a South African Gas Utilisation Master Plan.
- Vivo Energy in relation to its downstream operations across Sub-Saharan Africa.
Director (New York Qualified), Energy & Infrastructure Sector Head
Director (English & Scotts Law Qualified)